Promotes responsible tourism that benefits communities and Nature on a sustainable basis.
What we are
We are a community-based tourism enterprise focused on Tourism Value-Addition. We facilitate visitors to make their vsists have more documented environmental, social and economic impact in the host community through Carbon footprint nutralization; Volunteer tourists placements; and Eco-lodge/ home-stay arrangements. These are integrated with 'Tourism Advocacy' and 'micro-delivery'. Community members are active participants in the enterprise which make them aware of the commercial value placed on their natural and cultural heritage to foster their zeal to participate in community-based conservation .
The enterprise feasibility is based on one hand, the growing trend of tourists wanting their visits to have social and environmental impact, and, on the other hand the extra adventure from the packages at very economic rates.
Our Value Proposition: For tourists’ conscious of the environment and development of host communities, who are finding most conventional tourism packages not responsible enough in contributing to environmental sustainability and local economy, we facilitate their visits to have bigger positive impact at very economic rates while facilitating connecting more with host communities and making their visits more adventurous.
Key Issues we address:
- Climate Change Mitigation and Environmental Sustainability: Addressing pollution, biodiversity loss and environmental degradation that is also threatening the resources on which tourism is based;
- Poverty amidst plenty: local populations not economically benefitting from the rich resources around them;
- Responsible Tourism: Providing an avenue through which environmentally and socially conscious tourists can contribute more meaningfully to environmental sustainability and social good.
- Carbon Footprints Neutralization: Travel, especially air travel by tourists, is a major contributor to pollution. We facilitate tourists to participate directly or indirectly in carbon off-set projects. These include tree planting; species rescue programs; clean cook-stoves and husk thermal power generation from bio-waste.
- Volunteer Tourism (Voluntourism) placements: Here visitors are provided with an opportunity to work on a community project at their most convenient timing. We have collaborating organizations that provide the most suiting volunteer opportunities. Some of the volunteer projects include:
- Tree planting in a community forest;
- Nursery work;
- Developing computer applications that are needed by conservation organizations;
- Website designing/improvement/upgrading;
- Data management etc.
Depending on their time, volunteers can be placed for a week, two weeks, 3 weeks or a month. Most economic accommodation and meals will be arranged for this category of visitors.
- Tourism Advocacy is an inovation of the enterprise in which interested visitors add their voices to influence policy and practices towards better conservation of natural resources. The massages can be in form of video clip or written. The written messagges are compilled into a ‘visitors’ voice’ book with scanned copies of visitors messages and signatures. The same is done with video clips. The compilations are then shared with duty bearers and other stakeholders.
- Micro delivery is another scheme aimed at adding fun and connection between visitors and host community members. Here a visitor connects with a community member before the trip. A community member identifies a small item which a visitor can bring for them. On arrival a visitor is reimbursed the money or given a service in return e.g. accommodation in a ‘home stay’ The community members’ messages are posted on the website and visitors who get interested are marched and linked to communicate directly before the trip.
- Mabamba Wetland Eco-tourism Association (MWETA)